Monday, October 8, 2007

My Weekend

While Vance and Grant were camping with the Cub Scouts, Griffin and I made a trip to PA to visit my mother and sister. It was a lovely weekend filled with all sorts of good food and other treats (like a pedicure!) and as usual the visit was too short.

One of the reasons for my visit was to attend the Philadelphia Breast Cancer 3-Day walk. I've done the 3-Day three times so far, but this was my first time as a spectator and not as a walker. It was quite a different perspective, being on the "other side of the sidewalk." Mom, Sara, Griffin and I found a spot along the route on Sunday morning (which just happened to be right outside Sara's apartment!) and cheered the walkers on...

Griffin clapped his little hands off...

Fight Like a Girl!!!

Sunday was a wonderful day for driving home. The sky was a beautiful blue, the sun was shining, and all through the mountains we could see the leaves turning. There was a lot of construction going on all over the NE Extension of the PA Turnpike as well as on Route 81 from the Turnpike to the NY border, so we exited in Scranton and headed up Route 11. Slower yes, but much less frustrating. And we got to see some gorgeous scenery that we would have missed on the highways. At one point I saw a sign for a scenic overlook and decided to stop, since it was time to stretch our legs anyway. I expected it to be an overlook of the mountains and the foliage, but instead it was for this incredible viaduct...

Griffin was very excited because we arrived just in time to see a train pass over the viaduct (but not in time for me to get my camera out and get pictures of it).

For those interested, the sign above reads...

Tunkhannock Viaduct
This reinforced concrete structure was the largest of its kind ever built when it went into service in 1915 on the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad. The bridge, 2,375 feet long and rising 240 feet above Tunkhannock Creek, was the focal point of a 39.6-mile relocation between Clarks Summit and Hallstead. The novelist Theodore Dreiser called this viaduct “one of the true wonders of the World."



While I was snapping pics of the viaduct, Griffin was relaxing on this rock wall...

Here's a close-up of the rock wall. Just had to show off the bokeh on my new lens. :)

Once we got back into New York, we rejoined Route 81 and stopped at the first rest area. While we were there I tried to capture some of the beautiful scenery that surrounded us...


Before hitting the road for home, we rested for a few minutes at a picnic table under this tree, with its stunning yellow leaves...


No comments: