Monday, July 14, 2008

No Bears!!

As I mentioned, this past weekend I went with my family - and a couple dozen other people from Grant's Cub Scout pack - to the Adirondacks to go camping. We stayed at Camp Sabattis near Long Lake, which is our Council's Boy Scout camp. Now normally I don't camp. It's just not something I enjoy. I consider myself to be allergic to tents, sleeping bags, latrines and mosquitoes. Especially mosquitoes. My idea of "roughing it" is a hotel room without a good cable channel selection on the TV. You get the picture. But this time I was promised bears. More precisely, pictures of bears. I was told that black bears are always wandering in and out of the campsites there. So I agreed to go on this trip, figuring that it would be a nice inexpensive family weekend and that Griffin would have fun on his first camping trip (which he did - mostly). And that I would get some pictures of bears. But I didn't. Not a single one. No bears at all this weekend. {pouts all day}

But aside from the no-bears thing, we did have a good time. We arrived late Friday evening and left right after breakfast Sunday morning, so most of my pictures were taken on Saturday. We had beautiful weather that day, sunny and low 80s. Though I would have liked it to be a few degrees cooler in the afternoon, for reasons that will be clear to you when you read tomorrow's post. But in general it was a lovely day...

A Saturday in Sabattis: Morning Mist

Just down the path a few yards from the camp's dining hall is a little pond. Since I'm not a good tent-sleeper I was up at dawn, before almost everyone else in camp. I threw on my sweatshirt, grabbed my camera bag and headed down to the pond to see it in the early-morning light. I was greeted by a sleepy morning fog. I love fog. It just makes everything seem so peaceful...





Coming up tomorrow - part two of A Saturday in Sabattis: Onward and Upward. Stay tuned!

No comments: